Thursday, April 17, 2008

What's for Dinner?

Super-Fast Orange-Ginger Chicken and Rice

I am always on the prowl for quick and easy recipes. Here is an easy one that came out well for dinner and is low-fat. Although not a traditional chicken and rice dish since most of it comes out of a bottle or mix it was fast which merits perks for me for a mid-week meal.

- Bottle of Iron Chef Orange Sauce Glaze with Ginger (found with the bar-be-cue sauces and marinades at Publix).
- Boneless, Skinless, Chicken breasts
- Yellow Rice Mix (my favorite brand is Vigo)

Place chicken in baking dish and glaze generously with orange-ginger sauce. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes - 1 hour. In the meantime make yellow rice mix. After chicken is cooked, cut into small chunks. Mix the chunks of chicken with the left over orange-ginger sauce from the baking dish into the rice. Serve and enjoy.

I still have a leftover baked chicken breast and will probably cut it up and use it in a salad.

I love to hear about recipes at any time!

8 comments:

boxercab said...

yum!!! I agree - vigo rice is so good!

Laura said...

Sounds great!

Cara said...

I'll have to try this, Vigo rice plus anything connected with Iron Chef...how could it not be good?

My take on orange chicken: sprinkle whatever chicken pieces you want with thyme, salt, pepper, and chopped garlic. Then roast the chicken in a pan with slices of orange, plus 10-12 cloves of garlic. You can squeeze the orange over the chicken when done. It's not as orangey as this recipe, but it sure makes the house smell good. :)

DONNA said...

Ooh Cara, that sounds good!

Laura said...

"Sugar"?
LOL! How sweet!

Eric K. said...

I love the Vigo rice, too. I'm not a huge orange-glaze fan - tends to be a little too sweet for me. But on the same shelf as the Iron Chef sauce there is a 'House of Tsing' Szechuan Stir-Fry glaze that totally rocks! I make a stir fry with a bag of frozen California-style veggies, plus onions and mushrooms. Then I add some cooked chicken (either from leftovers or from one of those pre-cooked packages of chicken strips). Add some of the sauce, and it's a meal!

DONNA said...

Eric, cool recipe, I will look for that one as well. This is the first time I tried one of those bottled sauces so I was very surprised :D

D said...

That sounds great! My whole problem with cooking is the planning ahead. I don't start deciding what I want to eat until I'm hungry and then about ten minutes of prep time is about all I can stand. :)