Thursday, January 10, 2008

Plane Talk

On my flight back from Chicago to Atlanta I sat next to a 21 year old who had just left Navy basic training that morning and was in route to her new training school in Mississippi. She kept saying she was still a little overwhelmed as she spoke and I could tell. She had lived in a vacuum the past 8 weeks in a rigid routine, in another city, on another base, and as simple as stepping onto a plane, her life would now change. I listened to the conversations of the other new recruits as they were trying to decide if Atlanta was in Georgia. She had never been to Georgia before and this was her second trip on an airplane. One recruit asked another if they had heard of Stevie Ray Vaughn. The recruit replied 'No' and the asker said that you've never heard rock and roll until you've heard Stevie Ray Vaughn. They discussed that the old bands they liked were Nirvana and Pearl Jam. I smiled but said nothing. I always wondered why I got carded when I was 21. Now I knew why. I never knew youth was so apparent.

Sara, the new recruit sitting next to me explained that her mother was in a nursing home and could barely recognize her due to a disease. She wanted to make a stable living so she could take care of her mother. Her father's relationship was described as 'he works a lot'. I remember this age. The age where I felt an overly sense of responsiblity, where I could change the world. Sara would never be able to fix her mother and I wondered if she'd accepted that fact yet. I'll admit, I still feel this challenge in my own life, but now I guess I have a better sense that some things in life are just not in my control. For some reason I wanted to parent her, tell her everything would be okay, give her a hug even, but I didn't. She was so very adult sitting in her polished Navy suit that she fiddled with like a toddler with a new toy. I did tell her how proud we all were of her as well as all of those who serve. I tried to offer the words her mother could not.

After training school she would embark to a job and place that the Navy would decide for her. Her own future was unknown to her at the moment. At first I was so shocked by this. I could not imagine not knowing what city I would be told to live in as well as doing a job in which I had no input. But then the more I thought about it, and here's where my spiritually kicked in, I suppose that is the way I live my life. I don't really know about tomorrow but have the wisdom to know that I will most likely never have exactly what I want but I also have the faith to believe that I will always have what I need. In that I feel comfort. Mick Jagger is a profound guy.

Last night I said a little prayer for Sara and the new recruits. God bless them everywhere.

5 comments:

Eric K. said...

God bless them, indeed!

My flight to KC was measurably less profound - I sat next to a guy who played football for Tech back in the 60's and was now a sales rep for Champion clothing. We talked sports most of the way to KC...

DONNA said...

Oh by the way, I set my account up for private instead of public which is why I had to send out invitations.

Laura said...

First of all... A new post! Yippee Yahoo!

So many things "spoke to me". I finally realized that I should no longer try to be "Manager of the Universe". So, I've demoted myself to just "Manager of Ruthie's Universe".

Ain't it the truth about screaming "young"? And, I thought I was so "grown up" in my 20's. Big HA!

So true about not knowing what the future holds. If I've learned anything in the last 4 years, it's that "just riding the wave" can be a pretty good deal. HARD lesson for me to learn.

Kudos to you for telling her what her mom is not able to say. I'll send a prayer up too.

Safe travels to both of you guys.

Cheryl said...

So glad to finally see a new post!!! As usual, your writing is eloquent and touching. My favorite line being "I never knew youth was so apparent."

Yep, God bless 'em all...especially those who don't really know what they're getting into.

D said...

That's my favorite line too. :) That's a great post Donna. You are really good about making us feel like we are right there with you. Both next to you AND in your head! :)