Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Columbus Day

Yes, I'm one of those lucky ones who gets to celebrate the raping and plundering of the Native American Indians also know as Columbus Day by taking the day off of work. I've often wondered why this continues to be an American federal legal holiday. I was taught in primary school that Columbus discovered America. Yet a National Geographic article I read proclaimed that the Vikings were most likely to discover America first. Also, a Geography class of mine held the theory that the Native American Indians came from Asia, migrating using wind currants to Polynesia then to Alaska and then further to continental North America. So didn’t they discover it first? I guess that debate will always continue. I don’t know either since I wasn’t there.

So off I went to do some Googlevesigations and found many articles on Columbus. One article I read by History Professor Thomas C. Tirado had this particularly disturbing information regarding the era of Columbus.

“Looking for “new worlds” was not one of the motivations of the Age of Discovery, but finding new routes to Old World marketplaces was. What a shock it was, therefore, to bump into a hitherto unknown world by accident. Even greater, though, was the shock of finding millions of PEOPLE. By chance the first natives that the Europeans encountered were among some of the most primitive societies in the world. Since all peoples of the world had been accounted for as having descended from the sons of Noah, these natives were considered subhuman. In fact, not until years later did the Vatican under Pope Paul II issued an Papal Encyclical positing that the natives were rational beings with a soul. The 1537 statement explained that the Indians descended from sinful Babylonians who, during the Great Flood, fell off a mountaintop, grabbed onto a tree limb, and floated to the New World.

More than a generation after the initial contact, when the Spaniards encountered the more sophisticated natives of terra firma, such as the Mayas, the Aztecs and the Incas, the earlier image of "barbarian" still persisted in their minds. The Europeans simply could not see the true native societies. Or, perhaps the Europeans did not want to see anything more than primitive societies. The European settlers cared little for the indigenous culture and saw only a labor force in the Indian population. Thus, the native cultures–as well as the native population–began to disappear as the invaders advanced into the hinterland. In what can only be described as one of the greatest Holocausts of all time, disease and other conquest- and invasion-related activities led to the destruction of tens of million of natives. Only today are we realizing the enormity of the loss of people and the inestimable loss of culture.”

Professor Tirado reminds us to place Columbus’s merits into the time in which they were achieved. Still, I have trouble celebrating this as I feel so much sadness for those that were lost and marginalized. I suppose that’s why I read so much about WWII because I feel this need to understand in order to prevent.

Yet also after reading about him, I found him to be an amazing man and I loved reading about his journeys. A privateer ship once burned his ship and he survived by swimming six miles to shore. He fancied in the delights of the most sought after aromatic delectable spices. He landed in the Bahamas surrendering to a soothing warm climate, lush vegetation, new plump juicy fruits, and some of the most beautiful aqua waters found on earth. I have to admit, there’s an explorer in all of us that can relate to that instinctual need to find out more. When I was little, long before “Raiders of the Lost Arc”, I wanted to be an archeologist. I would bury my secret treasures in the back yard and draw maps marking the treasure spot with a big ‘X’. Then I’d follow the map to ‘discover’ the treasure. I love to read books about exploration like ‘The Travels of William Bartram’, “My First Summer in the Sierras” by John Muir, as well as several books I have on climbing expeditions. When hiking I often write journal entries and take a snipit of a plant that I don’t recognize so I can look it up later. I have a box of rocks, bones, and shark’s teeth from my exploits. Even now when I walk in the woods I know I will probably never discover anything new but just knowing it’s new to me is enough. I’ve noticed that even when I walk the exact same trail twice it is never exactly the same.

I also found in my Googlevesigations that many Latin American countries celebrate this day as Dia de la Raza (Day of the Race), celebrating the Spanish heritage of the Latin American peoples. Some Americans celebrate Columbus Day as Indigenous Peoples Day. I came to my own conclusion that the day can be both a celebration of culture and a memorial of loss. Maybe celebrating the heart of an explorer is not such a bad thing and in mind I’ll think of it as just that.

7 comments:

Cheryl said...

I like your thought about "celebrating the heart of the explorer." Whether motivated by altruism or greed, the explorers of history have opened up the world for us all—the good and bad of it.

People like Columbus, who managed to get into the history books, and those Vikings and Native Americans, who also explored but whose wanderings were never recorded—they all amaze me. I'm curious about many things to a point, and then cautious after that.

It's funny though, were our curiosities and fears begin and end. I would not consider myself much of an explorer of the physical world, but I would consider myself fairly fearless in matters of the heart and mind. I won't go into detail on that, but I guess "exploration" can take many forms.

Above all, glad you got a day off. :)

Eric K. said...

I particularly liked your description of being an explorer yourself. And I feel the same way about hiking. I have hiked many of my favorite trails literally dozens of times. Every time is new and different to me. Maybe it's a different time of day or time of year. Maybe the trail is crowded or I'm the only one there. Maybe it's rained and the nearby creeks and waterfalls are running high, or it's dry. Maybe I have a lot on my mind and just need the time to 'escape' life, or maybe I'm in a carefree mood. Maybe I'm by myself, or sharing my world with friends. Regardless, every hike is different. Thanks for reminding me about that!

D said...

"...fell off a mountaintop, grabbed onto a tree limb, and floated to the New World." ?!?! Wow... that pope had some kind of an imagination.

I love the image of Little Donna burying a treasure in the yard, drawing the map, and then hunting for it!!

And now I know why they didn't pick up my garbage today. Thanks. :)

Cheryl said...

Dianne,
Methinks the pope may have been doing a little "religious" peyote to come up with that theory. :)

Eric K. said...

BTW, I could share some raucous (sp?) memories of how they celebrate Columbus Day in Miami, but given the faithful tone of the post, I decided not to. I'll just have to share that in person (if you want to hear it). Think of it simply as Mardi Gras on the water...

DONNA said...

Eric, You KNOW we want to hear the stories!!

boxercab said...

That was really interesting. I love reading about your Googlevesigations. LOL! I love that word.

Since my mother was born and raised in Spain, she was taught that Columbus was a glorious adventurer that did great things for the queen. When my older brother starting learning more about him and did more of his own research, it was pretty upsetting for my mother to hear that there was killing and raping of the indigenous people in America. She still refuses to believe it to this day.

It's true that he opened up many opportunities for the world in exploration, but it's hard not to think of the horrible things done to the idians, who were amazing and ingenious, themselves.

Luckily it was so far in the past, it's easy to let it go now and just enjoy a day off (when applicable).

Eric, do tell!!!